Friday, January 1, 2010

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

The day has come! January 1st. 2010!!! Not only it is the start to a new year, and a new decade, it is the start of my ultimate physical/mental yoga challenge! 101 days of consecutive of hot yoga!

I never would have thought I would be the type to blog anything, let alone blogging about yoga! I have never been the diary type either, so this will be something of a first for me! Strange, as it might be to put my thoughts into words, it is strangely very natural too! I feel like there is no shortage of things in want to write about. Although, It never crossed my mind it write a blog, I do follow a few blogs

1) http://hannahjustbreathe.wordpress.com/
2) http://thirdstringgoalie.blogspot.com/
3) http://thesartorialist.blogspot.com/

Although I have always been physically active (playing soccer in a men's league, ran a few 10K, half marathon, and full marathon races, to playing golf in the summer, and skiing in the winter) I never thought yoga as a legitimate physical activity. I had many misconceptions of yoga. I thought it was a flaky new age exercise that hippies did....LOL! Things started to change when Brenda - my dear friend, and now yoga buddy encouraged me to try it. Over the next 6 to 8 months she invited me to try a class with her, but I always had some excuse not to decline the offer. All this changed at a mutual friend's Victoria Day long weekend BBQ. It was a while since I saw Brenda, and I immediately notice how amazing she looked...she was "glowing"! I commented how great she looked, and she said it was due to Bikram's yoga! She went on to say how it has changed her life physically, mentally, and emotionally. I must admit that what she was saying was the same things she was telling me the first time she encouraged me to take a class with her. I guess I really never listened to what she had to say regarding yoga until the BBQ....sorry Brenda...LOL! Bikram's yoga came into my life in June 2009 and I haven't looked back since!!! THANKS BRENDA for being so patient, and so persistent!!

Here are my goals for this challenge

1) To be able to look at the back wall in the backbend in halfmoon
2) To have my hands in prayer in eagle
3) To fully kick out, hold and not fall out of the second set of forehead to knee
4) To touch my head to the mat on separate forehead to floor
5) To hold and not fall out of toe stand
6) To be able to wrap my hand to my inner thigh in spine twist
7) To hydrate myself properly so that I only need to drink water in class after eagle, and before fixed firm
8) To curb my urge for salty bad foods

So this is it!!! My very first blog entry! I am sure this is the first of many postings! It has been a fantastic feeling to be able to put down my thoughts onto words. I now understand why people write diaries.


No comments:

Post a Comment